Appealing your Suspension or Dismissal:
Your online appeal form and all supporting documentation MUST be received by the published deadline to guarantee its consideration by the Academic
Appeals Review Board.
How to submit your appeal:
- Complete the online Appeals form, answering all questions and attaching documentation
to the online form. Save a copy of your appeal submission for your records. Students
who expect to be suspended after the current semester can prepare their responses
ahead of time. The appeals form asks at least two questions:
- What led to your academic difficulties?
- Explain your plan to rectify your academic challenges.
- Attach documentation to the form to support all statements you make about reasons
for your appeal or extenuating circumstances. Without a written answer to each question
AND supporting documentation, the Appeals Review Board cannot make a decision on your
- All appeals must include supporting documentation. If you make a statement on your
appeal, also provide supporting documentation for that statement. If in doubt, provide
- Examples of documentation to support statements in your written appeal:
- Letter from physician/medical provider/mental health provider or copy of official
medical diagnosis, including treatment, and dates that you were ill or hospitalized,
documenting your ability to return to school
- Documentation supporting personal or family emergency
- Legal documentation, police reports, insurance reports etc.
- Recommendation letters from your professors, counselors, advisors, or professional
- Changes in employment or unexpected financial difficulty
- Employment termination notice or documentation demonstrating a significant change
in financial status
- Copy of death certificate or obituary
- Other documentation to support the written statements on your appeal (this is not
a comprehensive list of possible documentation)
A personal statement written by the student will not be considered as documentation.
The Academic Appeals Review Board will meet to review appeals. The Board will notify
students of the decision of the Board by Catamount email. Results of an appeal cannot
be given to anyone but the student who submitted the appeal. The decision of the Appeals Review Board is final.
If you have any questions about the appeals process above, please contact the Office
of Student Retention. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 828-227-7171 (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm).