Skip to main content

University Withdrawal FAQ's

Students wishing to withdraw from all courses in the semester need to complete a University Withdrawal (UW) form with the Office of Student Retention. UW's are completed after the add/drop date and before the semester withdrawal deadline. By completing a UW, the student will receive W grades for all courses which do not count towards the state-mandated withdrawal limits. Although W grades do not impact a student's GPA, a W will impact the completion rate. A student must have above a 67% completion rate in order to remain in Good Academic Standing.

What do I need to know before I withdaw?

If any of the below situations apply to you, we recommend you first contact the appropriate office before completing your University Withdrawal.

Students should talk to Financial Aid before making the decision to withdraw. Your Financial Aid may be impacted, and some students may owe money back to the university after a withdrawal.

  • A student-athlete can withdraw from the university, but they will want to talk to their athletic academic advisor or counselor first. Athletes can withdraw to play at another institution, but they are generally not able to start playing with a new institution mid-semester.
  • Once a student athlete withdraws from the university, they are not permitted to participate in any varsity sport activities.
  • Student athletes are not automatically eligible to play a sport if and when they decide to return to the university. Students will need an NCAA waiver prior to being eligible to participate in their sport. In order to request that waiver the student will need to get in touch with the compliance office.

Please talk to Military Student Services prior to withdrawing from the university. If you are withdrawing due to military orders, you may qualify for a military withdrawal. Your VA Benefits or tuition assistance may be impacted by a withdrawal. Most students will owe money as a result of the University Withdrawal.

Individuals on a student visa should contact the Office of International Programs and Services (IPS) prior to withdrawing from the university to learn the impacts on their visa status.

Other Important FAQ's

Here are some important facts in regards to University Withdrawals that all students should know.

  • University Withdrawals can be completed for any reason up until the withdrawal deadline for your courses during the semester.
  • Please view the Academic Calendar for the withdrawal deadline and other important dates.
  • Exceptions to the withdrawal deadline are made if students are approved for an extenuating circumstances withdrawal (see below).

Extenuating circumstances refer to events outside of the student's control (such as health events, milltary deployment, a death in the immediate family, etc.) These events impact the students' ability to continue their courses for the semester. Requests for extenuating circumstances will be considered until the end of the following semester (i.e., requests for Fall 2021 will be considred until the end of the Spring 2022).

For consideration, please contact the appropriate office below with supporting documentation.

  1. Contact Health Services for medical and physical health related requests.
  2. Contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for mental health related requests.
  3. Contact Military Student Services for deployment or military contigencies. If approved, Military Services will provide a letter of support to the Office of Student Retention.
  4. For other significant extenuating circumstances, contact the Office of Student Retention to provide additional information.
  • Time Away
    • If you are "resuming" your time at the university, you can contact the Advising Center to enroll for the upcoming semester. A student is resuming if their last term of enrollment is within an academic year and they are within one academic year and they are in good academic standing. The semester in which you completed the University Withdrawal counts as a term of enrollment.
    • If you are "returning" aftering being unenrolled, you will need to reapply to the University through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
  • Graduate Students
    • For graduate students, we recommend talking with an advisor when planning to return because your academic program may require you to re-enroll for a specific semester.
  1. Completing a University Withdrawal will affect your semester and cumulative completion rates. Therefore, a University Withdrawal may negatively impact your Academic Standing at the end of the term. Withdrawing will not affect your GPA.
  2. To review your Academic Standing, contact the Office of Student Retention.

No. However, a University Withdrawal will impact your plan to Finish in Four. Contact your advisor to revise your plan and determine your estimated time to degree completion.

No. Students can drop their semester schedule during the add/drop timeframe for any reason. A University Withdrawal is not necessary during this time. To complete schedule changes during add/drop, view the "Registration-Drop a Class" Guide.

  1. Students completing a University Withdrawal may receive a tuition and fee reduction. 
  2. A tuititon and fee reduction does not guarantee that the student will receive a refund. If financial aid is reduced, the student's account may have a balance due.
  3. For withdrawal percentages, please visit this webpage.

After completing the University Withdrawal, you will no longer be able to access campus resources that are exclusively available for active students. This includes living in the Residence Halls, university clubs, student organizations, intramural sports, recreation center access, library services, etc. 

Withdrawing from the University?

Once you have withdrawn from the University, please remember to complete the following items:

  • Pay off student balance
  • Request a refund on CatCash
  • Return rented textbooks to the WCU Bookstore
  • Return library books to avoid fees
  • Turn in mail key (if applicable)
  • Check out of your residence hall (if applicable)

Taking a break from WCU?

If so, please complete the change of academic plan survey.

Office of Web Services